1 a sheet of metal or wood or glass or plastic
2 (baseball) base consisting of a rubber slab where the batter stands; it must be touched by a base runner in order to score; "he ruled that the runner failed to touch home" [syn: home plate, home base, home]
3 a full-page illustration (usually on slick paper)
4 dish on which food is served or from which food is eaten
5 the quantity contained in a plate [syn: plateful]
6 a rigid layer of the Earth's crust that is believed to drift slowly [syn: crustal plate]
7 the thin under portion of the forequarter
8 a main course served on a plate; "a vegetable plate"; "the blue plate special"
9 any flat platelike body structure or part
10 the positively charged electrode in a vacuum tube
11 a flat sheet of metal or glass on which a photographic image can be recorded [syn: photographic plate]
12 structural member consisting of a horizontal beam that provides bearing and anchorage
13 a shallow receptacle for collection in church [syn: collection plate]
14 a metal sheathing of uniform thickness (such as the shield attached to an artillery piece to protect the gunners) [syn: scale, shell]
16 the position on a baseball team of the player who is stationed behind home plate and who catches the balls that the pitcher throws; "a catcher needs a lot of protective equipment"; "he plays behind the plate" [syn: catcher] v : coat with a layer of metal; "plate spoons with silver"
EtymologyOld French plate ← Medieval Latin plata ← Vulgar Latin *plat(t)us ← Medieval Greek πλατύς (broad, flat, wide).
- Rhymes: -eɪt
- A serving dish or food course.
- We filled our plate from the bountiful table.
- A flat metallic object
of uniform thickness.
- A clutch usually has two plates.
- A weighted disk, usually of metal, with a hole in the center for use with a barbell, dumbbell, or exercise machine.
- An engraved surface used to transfer an image to paper.
- We finished making the plates this morning.
- In the context of "printing|photography}} An image or copy.
Plate may refer to:
- Plate (dishware)
- Plate (structures), in mechanics
- A flat piece of metal used in orthopedics to connect the two parts of a broken bone, such as a dynamic compression plate
- Plate armor, body armor made of metal plates
- Plate electrode, part of a vacuum tube
- Home plate, a piece of equipment in baseball
- Photographic plate, a type of film
- Printing plate, in lithography
- River Plate, a river in Uruguay and Argentina
- Steel plate, sheet metal in a thicker form
- Tectonic plate, in geology
- Vehicle registration plate
- A sub-class of Culture GSV
- Theoretical plate in separation processes
- Appendages of dinosaurs of the infraorders Stegosauria and Ankylosauria
- Roundel argent, in British heraldry
- Sterling silver cutlery and dishware
plate - horizontal structural elements at the top and bottom of
a wall in platform
- Wall plates are variously described as prefaced by the words: Sill, top, bottom, ceiling, floor, or base.
plate in Danish: Plade
plate in German: Plate
plate in French: Plate
plate in Dutch: Prato
plate in Japanese: プレート (曖昧さ回避)
plate in Portuguese: Prato (desambiguação)
plate in Simple English: Plate
plate in Serbian: Плоча (вишезначна одредница)
Chateaubriand, alveolar ridge, anodized aluminum, antepast, armor, backing, bibliofilm, billhead, bipack, black-and-white film, blade roast, book stamp, bookplate, brand, breast, bridgework, brisket, broad arrow, cachet, cartridge, charger, check, chitin, chromium plate, chromium-plate, chuck, chuck roast, clod, coat, coating, cold cuts, collop, colophon, color film, color negative film, copperplate, cortex, counterfoil, countermark, course, cover, covering, cut, deal, dental bridge, dentition, denture, dessert, dish, disk, docket, dope, dry plate, duplicate plate, electrocoating, electroplate, electroplating, electrotype, elytron, emulsion, entree, entremets, episperm, face, false teeth, feuille, filet mignon, film, flank, flap, foil, fold, frame, galvanize, gold plate, government mark, government stamp, gums, hallmark, help, helping, illustration, imprint, ivories, knuckle, label, lamella, lamina, laminate, laminated glass, laminated wood, lamination, lap, layer, leaf, letterhead, locked-up page, logo, logotype, loin, lorica, lorication, mail, masthead, membrane, microfilm, monochromatic film, motion-picture film, negative, nickel plate, orthochromatic film, overlay, pack, panchromatic film, pane, panel, patina, peel, pellicle, pericarp, periodontal tissue, photographic paper, picture, place, plait, plank, plastic plate, plate piece, plating, platter, ply, plywood, portion, pot roast, price tag, print, printing paper, printing plate, printing surface, protective covering, rack, rasher, registered trademark, rib roast, ribs, roast, roll, rolled roast, round, rubber plate, rump, rump roast, running head, running title, saddle, safety glass, scum, scute, scutum, seal, second helping, service, serving, set of teeth, shank, sheet, shell, shield, short ribs, shoulder, shoulder clod, sigil, signet, silver plate, sirloin, skin, slab, slat, slice, sound film, sound track, sound-on-film, soundstripe, stamp, steel plate, stereotype, sticker, stone, stub, table, tablet, tag, tally, teeth, tenderloin, test, testa, thick skin, ticket, title page, token, trade name, trademark, trademark name, trencher, tripack, typeform, uppers and lowers, vehicle, veneer, wafer, zincograph, zincotype